Friday May 9, 2014.
Just want to give a heads up to those in or around the Hamilton area or for anyone that wants to come and join us on this day, a day that we recognize and thank the over 40,000 Canadians that served in Afghanistan. I am going to list some things that are in the works by no means are they set in stone, but as we progress ahead I will update everyone with what is happening on this day.
1. By way of Royal Proclamation the Prime Minister has announced that May 9th is a day that we as a Country will recognize and thank the Canadians that served in Afghanistan, the 162 heroes that we lost, and the families of the fallen
2. There will be a parade in downtown Hamilton, starting from the Armouries to City Hall, and then back. The parade will most likely be in the afternoon, with a formal ceremony at City Hall returning to the armouries were there will be a bbq and small gathering.
3. I will be purchasing Canadian Flags that citizens can then line the streets with and wave as the troops march past to show their thanks and support. This would be a great time for all Canadians to fly their Canadian Flag proudly at the house/business and tie yellow ribbons as well to show thanks and support.
4. That evening ( weather permitting) there will be a special waterfall illumination and candle light vigil with a reading of the 162 fallen in Afghanistan. We are looking for 162 people to carry a candle and place it at the waterfall as well for the ceremony.
5. We are also looking at an illumination of HMCS Haida as well in red, which will be historic as we have never done her in that colour before. We are trying to see if Haida could be opened up for a tour as well on this day.
This is just a run down of what is being planned nothing set in stone yet, but start spreading the word, as details get sorted out I will update you as to our progress. …read more