Lower Mill Falls, also known as Mill Falls, is located on Ancaster Creek at the Old Mill Restaurant on Old Dundas Road. It measures 6 metres (20 feet) in height and its crest width is 4 metres (13 feet). It is considered a Complex Classic Falls, and has water flowing over it year round.
Lower Mill Falls is located on private property, but as the land is the site of a restaurant, people are welcome to view the waterfall. Viewing this waterfall is best done from the lower parking lot just below the large stone mill building.
The waterfall is named after the four mills once located at this site. The first three mills were destroyed by fire and the present stone flour mill was built in 1863. The building was constructed with limestone blocks taken from the actual site. Its walls are four feet thick at the base. The flour mill is one of the most substantial stone structures in the province. The Ciancone family bought this site in 1972 and built the “Old Mill Restaurant” in 1979.
Lower Mill Falls is featured on two posters: ‘Waterfalls of Hamilton Seasons’ and ‘Waterfalls of Hamilton Autumn’.
Lower Mill Falls Photo Gallery